Fayette MHA
Highland MHA
Fayette/Highland Metropolitan Housing Authority
Highland MHA

Tenant Information

What is Section 8?

The Section 8 program provides assistance for low-income families in the private rental market through the Housing Rental Assistance Program. Rental Voucher Holders select a unit from the private rental market. Rental assistance makes market rate housing affordable. Program participants usually pay no more than 40% of monthly-adjusted income towards rent and utilities. The Housing Assistance Payment subsidizes the balance of the rent to the property owner.

Tenant Portal

Annual Recertification Process

Once a year, about one hundred twenty days before the end of the recertification date, the Housing Authority will mail a re-certification packet to the tenant, with a required return date. The information needed for recertification will be stated on the letter such as current income, rent receipts, utility bills, tax forms, etc. Once the packet is returned to the Housing Authority, it is reviewed and if there are any missing documentation, a letter will be sent out requesting those missing documents. Once all documents have been received, sixty days from the annual recertification date the information will be entered into the system and an addendum letter will be sent to the tenant and landlord. This addendum letter will state the tenant’s portion and the Housing Authority’s portion of rent will be. If the requested packet and documentation is not provided in the allotted time frame, then the tenant’s participation is terminated.

Annual Housing Inspection Process

An annual housing inspection will be scheduled, and a letter will be mailed to the tenant and landlord with the date and time of the inspection. If you cannot keep this appointment you must call to reschedule before the appointment time. We will charge $15.00 for a no show if the scheduled inspection cannot be performed. If the inspection does not pass, a copy of the inspection report will be mailed to the owner and the tenant stating the discrepancies that must be repaired within 30 days.

Move Process

After the first year of a completed contract, the tenant may be able to lease up in any county they want to move to. Moving to another county is called a portability move. The tenant must give a written 30-day notice to the landlord and a copy to the Housing Authority before moving out of the present unit. The Housing Authority must perform a recertification on the tenant before moving. The tenant’s rent and utilities must be current before the Housing Authority will approve a move. If staying in the same county the tenant must have a Request for Tenancy Approval filled out. The process starts over again.

If moving to a different county, the client will need to inform the Housing Authority of the name, address and phone number of the Housing Authority in which they wish to move to. Portability move papers will be filled out and forwarded to the receiving Housing Authority.

Termination of Assistance

If clients do not follow the rules and regulations or the procedures for the Housing Authority they will be terminated from the rental assistance program!